- By default, up to two people can watch Hulu at once on the same account, using two different devices.
- If you’re a Hulu + Live TV subscriber, you can pay an extra fee to let an unlimited number of people watch at once.
- Even with the Unlimited Screens Add-on, only five people can watch premium channels like STARZ or Showtime at once.
- Visit Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
It’s no secret that plenty of people shareaccounts, lending passwords out to friends who want to watch the latest shows and movies. And while this can be great for consumers, streaming companies are never thrilled about missing out on potential customers.
isn’t any different. If you have a basic Hulu account, there’s a hard limit on how many devices you can stream on. But if you’re willing to pay an extra fee, you can upgrade your account to get rid of the limit.
Here’s a guide to how many people can watch Hulu at once on a single account, depending on your Hulu plan.
How many people can watch Hulu at once?
The exact amount of people that can stream on your Hulu account at once depends on what kind of account you have, and which add-ons you’re subscribed to.
By default, only two people can watch a single Hulu account at once using two different devices. If anyone else tries to log in while the two streams are taken up, they’ll be given an error message. This might mean that you and your spouse get to watch what you want, but your kids will have to wait.
This two-person limit doesn’t have to be permanent though.
If you’ve subscribed to Hulu + Live TV, you can get the Unlimited Screens Add-on, which lets any number of devices stream Hulu at the same time on your “Home Network.” If you’ve got a lot of people in your household, this is probably the plan for you. It costs $9.99 per month, on top of your regular Live TV fees.
But even the Unlimited Screens Add-on has some limits. It’s only unlimited on your Home Network, which is the internet connection in your house. If you try to watch Hulu when you’re not connected to the Home Network — like when you’re outside using your phone, for example — you’re limited to three streams at once.
Additionally, you’ll need to open the Hulu app on your phone while connected to the Home Network at least once a month, or you’ll lose Live TV access.
And lastly, even if you have the Unlimited Screens Add-on, premium channels like HBO, Cinemax, STARZ, and Showtime still have limits. Only five people can watch premium Hulu channels at once, and only three of those can be on mobile devices.
So in short:
- If you have a basic Hulu or Hulu (No Ads) subscription, up to two people can watch at once.
- If you have a Hulu + Live TV subscription without the Unlimited Screens Add-on, up to two people can watch at once.
- If you have Hulu + Live TV with the Unlimited Screens Add-on, there’s no limit to how many people can watch Hulu at home. But only three people can watch from mobile devices, and only five people can watch premium channels.
If you find yourself running into the stream limits a lot, consider upgrading your plan or getting a second account.
Christopher Curley contributed to a previous version of this article.