- The PS5 has 120 FPS and 4K resolution games, but you’ll need to be connected to a compatible display.
- You’ll also need to use a high-quality HDMI 2.1 cable to connect your PS5 to a 120Hz TV or monitor.
- To play at 120 FPS, you might need to enable “Performance Mode” — otherwise, you’ll play at 60 FPS.
- Visit Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
If you’re lucky enough to have bought a PlayStation 5, you no doubt want to take advantage of its most powerful features. Probably the most noticeable of these features is the frames per second.
Most, if not all PS5 games will play in at least 60 frames per second (FPS). And if you have the right setup, you’ll be able to play a good number of games at 120 FPS andUHD resolution — that’s nearly top of the line.
Here’s how to make sure that you’re getting the best possible FPS and game quality on your PS5.
How to get 120 FPS in PS5 games
Your PS5 should automatically run at the best frame rate and resolution your TV or monitor can deliver. But if something is misconfigured, you can adjust your PS5 to ensure it runs at the highest quality level.
It’s important to keep in mind that in order to get 120 frames per second, your TV or monitor needs to support 120Hz output. This information will be listed when you’re buying the TV, or if you already have a TV, you can find it in the manual.
Most new TVs support 4K, but 120Hz can be hard to come by. Some televisions can support both, but not at the same time — you’ll have to turn off 4K to hit 120Hz. For the best experience, look for a TV that natively runs in 4K and 120Hz.
In addition, you’ll need to use a high-quality HDMI 2.1 cable for full 120 FPS performance. The HDMI cable included with your PS5 fits the bill, but older cables might not.
How to set your PS5 to run at the highest framerates
Again, your PS5 should automatically run at the highest settings your equipment can run. But in some cases, your console might prioritize running in a higher resolution over high framerates.
Luckily, you can manually set your PS5 to run at the highest framerate possible, even if it means that you’ll have a lower resolution.
1. On the PS5’s Dashboard, choose “Settings” in the top right of the screen (the icon is shaped like a gear).
2. Choose “Saved Data and Game/App Settings.”
3. On the left side of the screen, choose “Game Presets.”
4. Select “Performance Mode or Resolution Mode,” and in the pop-up menu, choose “Performance Mode.”
Note that even with your PS5 set to 120 FPS, not all games will support this frame rate. Some games might have their own display settings, with a 120 FPS option you can enable.
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
How to get a PS5 camera adaptor for free so that you can play virtual reality games on the console
How to fix a PS5’s ‘Cannot Connect to the Wi-Fi Network’ error message
Yes, the PS4 is forward compatible with the PS5 — here’s all the PS4 games and accessories that work on PS5
Yes, the PS5 has 4k — here’s what you’ll need to play games and stream movies in the highest resolution possible
The PS5 has 825GB of storage space, but there’s a catch — here’s a guide to how storage works on the PS5