- You can use Spotify Codes as an easy way to share music from your Spotify app with anyone using Spotify.
- You can display a Spotify Code for any artist, album, track, or playlist.
- The other person simply needs to use the Camera icon on Spotify’s search page to scan the code.
- Visit Business Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
Music is often a shared experience, whether it’s at a concert or simply joining two sets of earbuds with a Y-cable. And with Spotify, its easy to share music using Spotify Codes.
If you want someone to hear a song playing on your Spotify app, you can display the Spotify Code on your screen. The other person simply scans the code with the camera feature in the Spotify app and it’s instantly available to them.
How to use Spotify Codes on your phone
Spotify Codes appear virtually everywhere in Spotify — you can share individual tracks, entire albums, artists, and even playlists.
1. Find the music you want to share and tap the item’s three dots. For an album, artist, or playlist, that’ll be under the art near the top of the page. For tracks, the three dots are found to the right of the track title.
2. The Spotify Code will appear in the pop-up window, above the additional play and share options.
3. The person who wants to listen to the music should open the Spotify app and tap “Search” in the toolbar at the top of the screen.
4. On the Search page, tap the camera icon to the right of the search box at the top of the page.
5. Point the phone’s camera at the Spotify Code on the other phone.
6. After a moment, you should see the music appear on the phone, ready to play.
How to share a Spotify Code from your computer
You can share music with a Spotify Code from your computer as well, though the process is slightly different. Find the music you want to share and then click the three dots for the artist, album, track, or playlist. In the pop-up menu, choose “Share” and then click “Spotify Code.” From there, the other person can scan the code from their mobile device in the usual way.
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
How to make a Spotify playlist public or hidden, and control who can see and listen to it
You can’t see who specifically follows your Spotify playlists, but you can see your account’s followers — here’s how
How to follow someone on Spotify, so you can keep track of your friends and favorite artists
How to share a Spotify playlist using your computer or mobile device
How to enable a private session on Spotify and hide what you’re listening to from your Friend Activity