- You can upgrade eligible PS4 games to play on your PS5 in higher quality.
- To upgrade your PS4 games, you’ll need to use either the PlayStation Game Hub or PS Store.
- Upgraded PS4 games will play in 4K UHD resolution, with higher frame rates and faster load times.
- Visit Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
A key part of buying any new console is figuring out which of your old games you can still play. Luckily, nearly every PS4 game can be played on the PS5. And even better — a number of the PS4’s biggest games can be upgraded to run with better graphics. These specific titles are known as next-gen upgrades, and most can be unlocked for no price.
Not every game can be upgraded, and even for those that can, not all of them will carry over your save data. But all upgraded games should feature increased frame rates, faster loading times, and better resolutions. And you should keep any extra content that came with your original purchase, like soundtracks or art books.
You can upgrade these games whether you have the physical disc, or just the digital version. Just note that discs can only be played on the PS5 Standard Edition.
How to upgrade a PS4 game with a physical disc to PS5
Again, remember that this will only be possible if you’ve bought the PS5 Standard Edition, as the Digital Edition can’t play discs.
1. Sign into your PlayStation account on the PS5.
2. Insert the PS4’s disc into the PS5 console disc slot.
3. Go to the PlayStation Game Hub and locate the game you just inserted.
4. Select “Free PS5 Upgrade,” which should be towards the screen’s top-right.
5. Choose “Free” to the left of the Purchase Price icon.
6. Click “Accept” to confirm your free purchase.
7. Now you can download. Once it’s finished, begin playing.
How to upgrade a PS4 digital game on any PS5 console
1. While logged into your PlayStation account, go into the PlayStation Store on your PS5.
2. Find and open the store page for the game you want. If you’ve purchased the PS4 version of the game and it’s eligible to be upgraded, you’ll see a pop-up on the right side of the page for a PS5 Upgrade. Click it.
3. You’ll be brought to a new page for the PS5 version of your game. Download and install it, and you’ll be able to play it just like any other game.
How to access extras purchased with a PS4 upgrade
Suppose you purchased a premium version of a PS4 game that came with exclusive extras, such as art books or soundtracks. Once you upgrade your game, you can find those extras in the Games Library.
1. From the Home screen, enter your Game Library. It’s the rightmost option in the list of recent apps.
2. Select the title you want to view extras for and press X to open its page.
3. Choose the “…” options button.
4. In the pop-up that appears, select the extras content you want. You’ll be brought to a new page where you can launch the add-on as if it were another game.