- The Spotify Family plan costs $15.99 per month and allows up to six users to use the service.
- The Family plan also includes a Family Mix playlist and access to a child-friendly Spotify Kids app.
- Spotify has four Premium plans designed for individuals, couples, students, and families.
- Visit Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
Spotify is among the most popular musicservices due to its multiplatform support, vast music library, and multiple tiers of service, including an ad-supported free plan. To avoid hearing ads between songs, you’ll need one of Spotify’s Premium plans. And if you have a household with more than two people, the most cost-effective and convenient choice is probably Spotify’s Family plan.
What the Spotify Family plan offers
The Spotify Family plan includes six premium accounts, enough for most large families. All the accounts are ad-free. The plan also comes with a few perks designed expressly for families, including the ability to block explicit music.
- Family Mix is an automated playlist that combines tracks each member of the plan listens to. The playlist is updated regularly.
- Spotify Kids is a separate mobile app designed just for children. It includes singalongs and playlists curated specifically for young listeners.
How much a Spotify Family plan costs
Spotify Family costs $15.99 per month. If you take advantage of all six accounts, that’s about $2.70 per user, which is substantially more cost-effective than a standard Individual account, which is $9.99 per month (or even the Student membership, which is $4.99 per month).
There is no minimum time required to keep a Family plan; you can start and cancel at any time, though you will be charged for an entire month at a time. If you’ve never subscribed to any Spotify Premium plan before, you can get a 30-day free trial when you sign up. If the Family plan isn’t for you, you can cancel without paying anything as long as you terminate the plan before the first 30 days is over.
How to sign up for a Spotify Family plan
To subscribe to a Spotify Family plan, go to the Spotify plans page. Here you can directly compare each of the four plans Spotify offers: Individual, Duo, Family, and Student. (A couple without children will probably prefer the Duo Plan for $12.99 per month.)
When you’re ready, click Get Started under Family. Then log into your existing Spotify account if necessary (even your free account is fine) or click Sign Up For Spotify and create an account.
If you already have a Premium account, such as a $9.99 per month Individual Plan, your plan will be automatically upgraded to Family when you complete the sign-up process.