- You can set up the Google Home app to connect your smart devices and use Google Assistant.
- Start the process by downloading the Google Home app and creating a new home to add devices to.
- The Google Home app acts like a remote control for smart home devices.
- Visit Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
Google Home is a smart speaker that you can interact with via voice commands, and the accompanying Google Home app is like a remote control for smart home devices.
The app allows you to set up, manage, and control not only Google Home and similar devices, but also smart home products like lights, cameras, and even your thermostat. Here’s what you need to know.
How to set up a Google Home account on the Google Home app
1. Download the Google Home app onto your Android or iOS device.
2. Open the Google Home app. If it’s your first time using the app, watch the short video (optional), then tap Get Started.
3. Confirm which Google account you want to use with the Google Home app by selecting it, then tap OK. If you don’t already have a Google account, you can create one by tapping Use another account and selecting Create account on the next page.
4. On the Create a home page, tap Get started. On the next page, tap New devices to set up a new device or Works with Google to link an existing device or service.
5. On the Choose a home page, tap Create another home, then Next. Choose a nickname to identify the home, then enter the address on the next page. The Google Home app will then look for devices to connect to.
How to set up a Google Home device on the app
1. Plug in your Google Home device. When you hear a chime, you know it’s powered on.
2. Open the Google Home app and tap the plus + icon in the top-left.
3. Choose Set up device from the Add and manage menu.
4. Tap the New devices option to begin linking your Google Home to the app.
5. You will be asked to choose a home to link your Google Home device to. Select an existing Home profile or create a new one, then tap Next.
6. The Google Home app will begin searching for devices. Once it identifies your Google Home device, tap Next.
7. Once it’s finished connecting, the Google Home app will ask you to confirm the connection by playing a sound on the Google Home speaker. Tap Yes if you hear the sound, or Try Again if you don’t.
8. You may be asked to agree to legal terms. If they appear, click I agree or No thanks.
9. You may be asked to opt-in to improve your device experience by sharing device stats and crash reports with Google. Choose either No thanks or Yes, I’m in.
10. Pick which room the device is located in to help name and organize your Google Home speaker within the Google Home app. Then tap Next.
11. Select the Wi-Fi network you want to connect your speaker to. Then tap Next.
How to set up Google Assistant
1. Once the Google Home device and Google Home app are connected, you’ll be asked to set up, the artificial intelligence assistant for Google products. After reading the relevant agreement, tap Next.
2. Tap I agree to activate Voice Match, which teaches the Assistant to recognize your voice. Follow the on-screen prompts to set it up.
3. Enable Personal results to have your Google Home speaker read or show results specific to you, like with your Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Photos, YouTube playlists, recipes, and more.
4. You will then be asked to choose a default music service and link to music and media services like Spotify and. If you choose to link them, you’ll need to log in and connect them to your Google Home app. When finished, tap Next.
5. After choosing whether or not to receive emails about your device, and adding optional details on the review page, tap Next to finish setup.