- You can print labels from Microsoft Word by using the Mailings tab.
- The Labels dialog box has hundreds of label templates to choose from, organized by brand.
- You can customize the label template or print it as is.
- Visit Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
You can use Microsoft Word to print a sheet of labels — like mailing labels, return address labels, or even organizational labels for marking things like storage boxes. Word’s Mailings tab lets you find a label template that’s appropriate for the style of label you need to print, and if it’s not exactly what you need, you can customize it as well.
How to print labels from Word
Some label sheet brands offer their own label-printing software or Word template plug-ins that you can install from the brand’s website. While you can take advantage of this software, you certainly don’t need to. Word gives you everything you need right in the Mailings tab.
1. Start Word and click the Mailings tab in the ribbon.
2. In the ribbon, click Labels. You’ll see the Envelopes and Labels dialog box.
3. In the Address box, type the text you want to print in your label. You can select an address from your Outlook address book by clicking the Address Book icon above the Address box.
4. Click Options…
5. In the Label Options dialog box, select the label template you need based on the kind of label sheet you are printing. In the Label vendors menu, select the brand of label package you are using, and then in the Product number section, find and select the appropriate product number or product description from the label sheet’s packaging.
6. If necessary, you can customize any aspect of this label, including the size of the label, the margins, and the number of labels printed across or down the page. To do that, click Details…, make the changes, and then click OK.
7. When you’re satisfied with your label selection, click OK.
8. Back on the Envelopes and Labels dialog box, click New Document.
9. You should now see a page filled with your selected label, the text you entered repeated in each entry. If you want to customize the text, you can now type directly in any label box.
10. When you’re ready, load the label sheet in your printer and print the document.