- You can make a voice call on WhatsApp to a single person, or to a group of contacts.
- To make a call on WhatsApp, you’ll need to have the person or people you’re trying to reach added to your contacts list.
- You’ll need an internet connection to make calls over WhatsApp, but you can use Wi-Fi or mobile data.
- This story is part of Insider’s Guide to WhatsApp.
With millions of daily users around the world, WhatsApp is one of the most popular communication apps around. And while it’s mostly known for its group chats, its voice calling feature is just as important.
WhatsApp lets you make free voice calls to your contacts. This is an especially useful feature if your contacts live overseas, as it saves you from the expensive international calling fees that would normally make these calls unaffordable.
Here’s how to make a call on WhatsApp — either to a single person, or to a group.
How to make a call on WhatsApp to a single person
To make a WhatsApp call, you’ll need to be connected to the internet. Luckily, you can use either Wi-Fi or a mobile 4G/LTE connection.
1. Open WhatsApp and in the Chats section, tap the conversation with the person that you want to call. If you don’t already have a conversation open with them, you’ll have to start one.
2. In the upper-right corner of the conversation screen tap the call icon, which looks like a phone. WhatsApp will dial their number, and if they answer, you’ll be connected on a call.
How to make a group call on WhatsApp
You can have up to eight people (including yourself) in one voice call.
1. Open WhatsApp and call someone using the same steps outlined above.
2. Once you’re in the call, tap the Add Participant icon, which looks like a small figure with a “+” sign in the upper-right corner of the screen.
3. Once your Contacts list appears, choose the person that you want to add to the call and then tap Add.