- On any Roku device, you can watch Amazon Prime Video content by downloading the channel.
- However, some Roku devices no longer support updates to the Prime Video channel.
- You can search the streaming channels on Roku to download the Prime Video app.
- Visit Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
Roku may be a useful way to stream your favorite shows, but that doesn’t mean it comes with all the channels you want right out of the box.
If you’re used to watching content on Amazon Prime Video, you may be a little disappointed to find that the app doesn’t come preloaded on Roku. However, if you want it, you can easily download it. But, depending on the version of Roku you own, the most up-to-date version of the Prime Video channel may not be supported.
Here’s what you need to know about getting Amazon Prime Video to stream on your Roku device.
What Roku devices support Amazon Prime Video
The Roku Amazon Prime Video app is available for all Roku devices, regardless of the model you’re using. To access it, go intostore and download the Prime Video app. It’s free to download, though you’ll need to have a paid subscription to Prime Video to actually use it.
There are a couple caveats here though: Some older models, like the Roku 1 and Roku 2, no longer support Prime updates. So you won’t be able to access updates to the Prime Video app on these devices.
How to download and watch Amazon Prime Video on Roku
1. Press the home button on the Roku remote, or use your phone to go to your Roku’s home screen.
2. Choose Streaming Channels, followed by Search Channels.
3. Search for and then select the Prime Video app.
4. Choose Add Channel to download the app to your Roku device.
5. Once the Prime Video app has been installed, go back to the home screen and select it from your list of installed channels to start watching. You’ll need to either log into your Amazon Prime account, or create a new account.