- You can do split screen on your iPad with the Multitasking feature Split View, and use two apps at once.
- To do split screen on your iPad, open one app and drag another app from the Dock to the side of your screen.
- To get rid of split screen, close one app by swiping it off the screen, or disable the feature altogether.
- Visit Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
The iPad is so versatile that it might sometimes feel like a complete replacement for your laptop or.
For example, you can split the screen on your iPad to view multiple apps at once. This is called Split View, and it’s one of the iPad’s many Multitasking features.
Here’s how to split screen on your iPad and multitask with Split View and Slide Over, or turn off these features completely.
How to do split screen on your iPad
1. First, you’ll need to make sure that one of the apps you want to open is in your Dock — the small bar of app icons at the bottom of your screen. To do this, open the app you want and then close it so it shows up in one of your Dock’s “recently used” slots.
2. After making sure that the app is in the Dock, start the other app that you want to use and keep it open.
3. Swipe up gently from the bottom of the screen to see the Dock. Don’t swipe up too hard, or you’ll just return to the Home screen. Only swipe up enough that the Dock floats over your app.
4. Tap and hold the app in the dock, and then drag it all the way to the right of your screen and let go. If you drag it all the way to the right, the two apps will appear side-by-side, and you can drag the divider bar between them to give them more or less space.
If you drag an app out of the Dock and release it without going all the way to the screen’s edge, it’ll just float on top of the first app in a small window. This is another Multitasking feature called Slide Over.
How to get rid of split screen on your iPad
If you already have two apps on the screen and want to close one of them, it’s easy to get back to the standard one-app view.
When your two apps are side-by-side with a divider bar between them, drag the bar all the way to the right or left. If you drag it to the right, you’ll close the app on the right. If you drag it all the way to the left, you’ll close the app on the left.
In both cases, the app that’s still open will go into full screen mode.
If the second app is floating on top of the main app in a small window, tap and hold the gray bar at the top of the floating app and drag it downward. This will put the two apps in split screen mode, letting you close one with the divider.
If you have an app floating in a window, you can also close it temporarily by swiping the gray bar to the right. This will send the window flying off-screen. Just swipe left from the right edge of the screen to bring it back.
How to turn off split screen on your iPad permanently
If you dislike this feature and don’t want to accidentally open apps side-by-side, you can disable it entirely.
1. Open the Settings app.
2. Tap “General,” then “Multitasking & Dock.”
3. Turn off “Allow Multiple Apps” by sliding the switch to the left.