- You can choose to delete your Yahoo account with just a few clicks, but Yahoo will remove it completely after about a month.
- If you change your mind, you can recover the account as long as you log back in within 30 days.
- Before you can delete your account, you must cancel any paid Yahoo subscriptions.
- Visit Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
Your Yahoo account gives you access to a variety of online resources including Yahoo Mail, personalized settings on the Yahoo home page, and photo and video uploads at Flickr. If you decide you no longer need or want these services, you can terminate your Yahoo account.
How to delete your Yahoo account
It only takes a few clicks to delete your Yahoo account. Doing this deactivates all Yahoo services including email, Flickr, and your Yahoo identity that lets you customize the Yahoo home page.
1. Open your My Subscriptions dashboard in a web browser. Make sure you have no active paid subscriptions, and cancel them if necessary.
2. Open the Yahoo account termination page in a web browser.
3. If you’re not already logged into the Yahoo account you want to delete, sign in now.
4. Click Continue delete my account.
5. On the next page, enter your email address and click Yes, terminate this account.
You should see a message that tells you the account has been deactivated and scheduled for deletion. It will generally be deleted after about 30 days.
How to reactivate your Yahoo account
While there is no way to temporarily deactivate your Yahoo account — you can only choose to delete it, all or nothing — it is possible to change your mind and reactivate your account as long as you do it within about 30 days of deleting the account (certain countries have longer hold periods). To do that:
1. Go to the Yahoo webpage.
2. Sign in with your usual username and password.
3. Verify that you want to recover the account and create a new password.