- You can connect your Amazon Echo to a Wi-Fi network using the Amazon Alexa app on your phone or tablet.
- If you’re having issues connecting your Amazon Echo to Wi-Fi, make sure that your internet router is working properly.
- Visit Business Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
You can yell at your Amazon Echo all you want, but if it isn’t connected to the internet, then it won’t be able to help you with much of anything.
To use the vast majority of an Amazon Echo’s features — including the virtual assistant Alexa — you’ll need to connect your Amazon Echo to a Wi-Fi network.
You’ll be able to tell if your Echo isn’t connected to the internet if its ring turns red when you talk to it. It may also tell you outright that it’s having trouble connecting.
Here’s how to do it using the Alexa app, which is available for both iPhone and Android devices.
How to connect an Amazon Echo to Wi-Fi
First of all, if you haven’t set up your Amazon Echo yet, it won’t be able to connect to any Wi-Fi network. If you still need to set up the device, follow our step-by-step guide to setting up your Echo.
If you’ve already set up your Echo and simply need to change the Wi-Fi settings, here’s what you’ll need to do.
1. Sign into the Alexa app on your iPhone or Android device, then tap the “Devices” icon in the bottom-right.
2. Tap “Echo & Alexa” on the next screen.
3. Select the specific Echo device you want to connect to Wi-Fi. It should be listed as “Offline.” If it’s instead listed as “Online,” your Echo is already connected to a Wi-Fi network.
4. On the next page, next to “Wi-Fi Network,” tap the word “Change.”
5. Follow the onscreen prompts to complete your Wi-Fi connection, which may include holding down the Echo’s “Action Button” (the button with the white dot) to force it into pairing mode.
If you’ve connected to your Wi-Fi network and are still having issues, it might mean that there’s an issue with the Wi-Fi itself. In this case, try resetting your internet router, or calling in help from your ISP.
Related coverage from Tech Reference:
How to factory reset your Amazon Echo using the Alexa app on your device
How to connect your iPhone to Wi-Fi in 2 different ways, to either a visible or hidden network
‘Why won’t my Mac connect to Wi-Fi?’: 7 ways to troubleshoot your Mac’s Wi-Fi connection
‘Why isn’t my internet working?’: How to identify why you can’t connect to the internet and troubleshoot accordingly
‘What can the Amazon Echo do?’: Everything you need to know about Amazon’s smart speakers