- You can clear cache, history, and cookies on your iPhone to improve speed and performance.
- You can also clear caches for iPhone apps by offloading or deleting them to free up space.
- When you clear cache, you may lose some saved data from affected apps, like passwords and files.
- Visit Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
Apple offers several ways for iPhone users to clear their cache, whether for Safari or other iOS apps.
When you clear theon iPhone for Safari, it means all the files, images, passwords, and scripts from previously visited websites will be wiped. You can also clear caches on iPhone apps by offloading or deleting them.
Clearing the cache for Safari and certain apps can free up space on your iPhone, improving speed and performance by removing unnecessary app data.
Here’s how to clear cache on your iPhone.
How to clear cache, history, and cookies on Safari
To clear a cache on your iPhone, select Safari in the Settings app and click “Clear History and Website Data.”
Here’s a full step-by-step guide:
1. Open the Settings app and click Safari.
2. Tap “Clear History and Website Data.”
3. Your device will double-check that you want to clear Safari’s data. Click through the message that follows.
How to clear cache on iPhone for apps
To clear the cache on iPhone apps, you’ll need to offload them. Offloading an app will free up storage space the app uses while still keeping its documents and data. If and when you reinstall the app, your data will be reinstated.
1. Open the Settings app.
2. Select “General” and tap “iPhone Storage.”
3. Select the app you want to offload and tap “Offload App.”
4. Select “Offload App” from the pop-up window to confirm your choice. You can also delete the app if you no longer need it.
How to clear caches on iPhone for apps with a cache feature
Some apps have a cache feature that makes it easy for you to clear it directly in the Settings app. Here’s how to find it:
1. Open your iPhone’s settings.
2. Scroll until you see the eligible app, then tap it.
3. Look for a “Clear cache” option. If the toggle next to it is green, tap it to clear the app’s cache.