- You can add text to iMovie on your iPhone or iPad via the “T” icon at the bottom of the screen.
- Mac users will need to use the “Titles” menu located toward the top-left side of the iMovie window.
- There are more precise editing options available with the Mac version of iMovie, though you can still get the basics accomplished with the mobile app.
- Visit Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
Despite being a free piece of software for Apple users, iMovie has a solid array of editing options to enhance your videos.
Adding text is one method that can come in handy, but the way to access this option isn’t super obvious.
Note that this process works for adding titles, subtitles, or other text in your movie. Here’s what you need to know to get it done.
How to add text to iMovie on an iPhone or iPad
Once you’ve opened your project, here’s how to add text to your video.
1. Tap into the video clip you want to add text to.
2. Select the “T” icon at the bottom of the screen.
3. Choose the desired style from the list of templates.
4. Tap the sample title in the viewer and select Edit to type the desired text, then tap Done.
5. From there, you can tap the title again to reposition it as needed.
6. You can also pinch the text to decrease the size, or expand it. Or, if you want to change the font or color, you can tap the “T” that appears on the clip below the video preview area and select either “Aa” (for font), or the multicolor circle icon (for color).
This can also be accomplished when you first select the text style. There are also more options, like text shadow and uppercase, available if you tap the three-dot icon from that screen.
How to add text to iMovie on a Mac
The process is different if you’re on your computer. Once you open the project, here’s what to do.
1. Click into the area of the video you want the text to appear.
2. Select Titles in the top toolbar on the left side of the screen.
3. Double-click to choose the theme you want to use.
4. Click into the preview text on the viewer to the right, and type in your desired text.
5. You can then adjust the font, size, and alignment (or add bold, italics, or an outline) using the toolbar above the viewer. You can also reposition it by dragging the text box to the desired area on the viewer.
You can change the length for a title, as well as alter when it first appears in your video, by dragging the title track at the bottom of the window. It will appear above any video or audio tracks.