- Grubhub takes cash in some instances, making it one of the few online services that offer the option.
- But it’s up to the restaurant whether it takes cash, and most do not.
- If a restaurant takes cash, you’ll see that payment option listed at checkout.
- Visit Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
It’s getting harder to use cash for many purchases. Ordering food online is an excellent example — from Postmates to Uber Eats, it’s simply not possible to pay for a food order with cash. One notable exception: It’s sometimes possible to pay for Grubhub food orders with cash, so if using a credit card orsystem is off the table for you, Grubhub might be the delivery service of choice.
Grubhub takes cash in some instances
Grubhub is one of the few online services that considers taking cash, and you can find that promise on the Grubhub website: “We accept, Android Pay, PayPal, eGift and credit cards, or good old-fashioned cash. What works best for you, works great for us.”
Unfortunately, it’s not that simple, and that claim on the website is a bit of an overpromise. Grubhub makes cash payments an option for restaurants who partner with the delivery service, but it’s ultimately up to the restaurant whether it accepts payments in cash. In reality, few restaurants accept cash payments due to the logistical challenges involved. It’s far easier to limit payments to credit cards, Apple Pay, PayPal, and similar electronic options.
So how do you know if a restaurant takes cash payments? There’s no way to filter or sort restaurants within the Grubhub app (iOS, Android) by payment method, so you’ll have to check each one in your local delivery area using the method outlined in the next section.
How to pay with cash on Grubhub
Paying by cash is simply a matter of choosing the cash option at checkout, if the restaurant allows it. Here’s how to do that:
1. Start the Grubhub app.
2. Select Delivery or Pickup at the top of the screen.
3. Find a restaurant at which you’d like to place an order.
4. Select your food items and tap Add to bag.
5. When all the items are in your bag, tap View order, then tap Continue to checkout.
6. In the Your payment section, tap Payment. Choose the payment type. If Cash is an option, you’ll see it here. Choose it and complete the order.
If cash isn’t an option, tap Cancel, go back to the beginning and try a different restaurant. You might need to try a lot of restaurants before you find one that accepts cash, and unfortunately, there’s no guarantee that any locations in your area allow it.