- You can change the background color of an Instagram story when you upload or repost an image.
- You can also change the background color of a story that has just text or stickers with the Create tool.
- If you have a pre-made background, you can upload it to your story and customize it from there.
- Visit Insider’s Tech Reference library for more stories.
You can customize your Instagram story in a number of ways, including altering the color of your background.
Depending on the type of post you want, you can create Instagram stories featuring a solid background with or without photos, and even using pre-made backgrounds or designs.
Available for both Android and iPhone Instagrammers, you’ll need to either upload a photo, pre-made background, or Instagram story you were tagged in or use the Create tool to start a text Story post from scratch.
From there you can use the Pen or Highlighter brushes, the dropper tool, and your own fingers to change the background color of an Instagram story. Here’s how to do it all.
How to change the background color on an Instagram story using an image
If you want to change the background color of an Instagram story that has an image, here’s how to do it.
1. Select any photo. This can be another story you were tagged in or a brand new photo you want to upload.
2. On the post’s draft screen, place two fingers on the story image and move them in a pinching motion to make your photo smaller if you can’t see Instagram’s pre-selected post background.
3. At the top of your story draft screen, tap the scribble icon to the left of the text icon.
4. To create a solid background, tap the “pen” icon — the first brush to the left in the menu bar — before selecting the color you want for your background in the slider at the bottom of the screen.
5. If you want to create a background that’s opaque and reveals the image underneath, choose the “highlighter” icon — the second brush and not the down arrow — before selecting the color you want from the bottom menu slider.
6. With one finger, tap and hold on the screen for several seconds. When you release, the entire post color should change to the one you selected. From there you can add new text, stickers, emojis, and more to the solid background.
7. If you’d like to re-reveal the photo underneath, first tap the eraser icon.
8. Use the slider on the left side of the screen to make your brush size bigger or smaller before using your finger to wipe away the color over your photo.
9. Tap the check icon in the top right corner to save your changes.
How to change the background color on your Instagram story using the Create tool
If you don’t want any photo element with your background color, and instead just want a regular Instagram text post with a solid background color, here’s a shortcut.
1. On your profile page, tap your Instagram icon to access the story menu.
2. In the left side menu, select the Font icon (Aa) to create a new story draft.
3. At the top of the screen, tap the scribble icon.
4. Select the Pen or Highlighter brush depending on whether you want the background to be solid or opaque.
5. Choose a preset color from the bottom slider, then tap and hold the post for several seconds before releasing it and enabling your new background color.
6. Save any changes when you’re finished.
How to change the background color on an Instagram story using a pre-made background
If you are adept at creating your own backgrounds in Photoshop or found one through free stock image sites like pexels.com and unsplash.com, you can upload it quickly and easily to your story.
1. Download or save the background you want to upload to your Instagram story to your phone’s photo library.
2. Open the Instagram story tool.
3. Select the photo gallery icon in the bottom left corner of the story screen.
4. Choose the background from the grid of available photos.
5. Use two fingers to expand the background to cover the entire story screen, then begin customizing your Instagram story.
6. Save your changes.